Fitness

Discover out concerning the high tales of the day in a fast scan – CBC.ca.

Good Morning! This is our daily round-up of the news with everything you need to know in one quick read. Sign up here to have this delivered to your inbox every morning.

What it's like to pull the plug on your business during the pandemic

There are still numbers on how many businesses have closed due to COVID-19. However, evidence of tens of thousands of businesses closings is found in shopping malls and on main streets across Canada.

Behind the numbers and networked companies is the human toll on the entrepreneurs who saw their passions, dreams and financial lifeblood disappear. These are some of the stories of entrepreneurs from various industries who faced this difficult reality and agreed to share details about their company's downfall.

Just days after the Alberta government forced Scott McDermott to close his gym, he saw the ultimate fate of his business. Before the coronavirus lockdown in March, he had already canceled group training and childcare as fears about the coronavirus pandemic increased. He and his staff were busy preparing online workouts, meal plans, and programs for members.

Two days after Best Body Fitness in Sylvan Lake, a resort town in central Alberta, was told to close its doors, McDermott met with his accountant. When they looked over the numbers, it hit him. matter how successful the online offerings were, there was no financial way to overcome how deep a success from COVID-19 would be in his gym.

"I just had to stop and go," you know what, that won't work. "" That March night he cried at his desk until 2 a.m. After 18 years in business, it was over.

Watch | The many challenges this salon owner faced were tough to tackle:

Brianna Hallet was able to re-open SwizzleSticks after the lockdown, but it proved difficult. 2:25

Unlike McDermott, Brianna Hallet was able to reopen her hair salon after the lockdown began in March. However, over the summer it became clear that the SwizzleSticks Salon Spa in Calgary was no longer viable.

Compliance with health restrictions meant up to seven stylists had to work at less than half capacity at the same time, even though there were 16 chairs. The spa side of their business never opened again to offer massages, facials, and other services.

The end of SwizzleSticks is still a painful reality for Hallet, who worked there for 14 years and owned it for the past six years. "It was hard. It was a really difficult identity thing. I didn't know how much of my identity I put in SwizzleSticks. Even last night I recorded some thoughts, and it still is – it's the identity," she said . along with sorrow and grief. Read more about this story here.

Rising cases in Spain

(Sean Kilpatrick / Canadian Press)

Team Newfoundland and Labrador from left to right – Brad Gushue, third Mark Nichols, second Brett Gallant, lead Geoff Walker, assistant Jeff Thomas and trainer Jules Owchar – skip the Brier Tankard trophy after they beat Team Alberta in the Brier Curling Finals Kingston, Ontario, on Sunday night. Read more about the Gushue team's victory here.

Shortly

Only a fraction of the COVID-19 cases in Ontario have used the national COVID alert app to report their infections, affecting the app's effectiveness in slowing the second wave of the pandemic in the province. Provincial government figures show that COVID Alert users have reported 1,354 cases through the app since it launched on July 31. Given that more than 25,000 cases of COVID-19 have been confirmed in Ontario since then, that means roughly five percent of those infected with the novel coronavirus have used the app to report their case, which other users then use would warn of possible exposure if they were within six feet of this person for at least 15 minutes in the past two weeks. However, those numbers don't mean the app should be written off as a bug, according to public health experts. "There is a public health adage that absolutely no maneuver will ever be 100 percent effective," said Susan Bondy, associate professor of epidemiology at the University of Toronto's Dalla Lana School of Public Health. Read more about using the app here.

A Liberal official complained to his superiors last year that the prime minister's office plays a paramount role in appointing judicial officers and warned that party-political considerations had created "the potential for scandal", according to emails from Radio-Canada . The internal warning came from François Landry, an adjutant who at the time was directly involved in the process of appointing judicial officers in Justice Minister David Lametti's office. "We need to talk about what PMO requires of us before a judicial appointment. That raises some concerns," Landry wrote to Rachel Doran on February 18, 2019. "I think we have to be more careful considering what is." I want to protect the minister and myself. "Concern within the federal government about the role of the PMO in the judicial review process – and its insistence on pre-appointment consultations with cabinet ministers, Liberal MPs, affiliated lawyers and Liberal officials – goes beyond the stated concerns to sources and, according to Landry other internal government emails Read about the concerns about the appointment of judicial officers.

A new class action lawsuit has been filed against Veterans Affairs Canada alleging failure to inform former soldiers, seafarers and crew members of the federal benefits to which they are entitled. Veterans attorney Sean Bruyea filed a lawsuit in federal court last month. The lawsuit is led by attorney Peter Driscoll, who successfully sued the Department of Defense over military pension claims and reached a $ 887 million settlement. The new case focuses on the treatment of the previous supplementary pension. Bruyea was eligible for the benefit before it was terminated by the Liberal government as part of its veteran benefits reform that went into effect in April 2019. According to court records, Bruyea could have received a lump sum payment of 69 months of the supplementary pension – "Was he duly informed by the department of the eligibility requirements" of the program. A spokesman for Veterans Secretary Lawrence MacAulay said he was aware of the case but could not comment directly on it. Read more about the suit here.

University of Ottawa students condemn a letter signed by 34 professors from the school defending a colleague who was suspended for using the N word in class. University of Ottawa part-time professor Verushka Lieutenant-Duval was suspended on Sept. 23 after a student complained about saying the N-word during a class as an example of a word a ward reclaimed. In response to the suspension, 34 professors signed a letter of support for her on Friday – the day Lieutenant Duval returned to teaching. They said that there can be educational value in using the term and that a classroom is a place for debate. In a statement posted on social media, the school's student union called the professors' letter "appalling". The University of Ottawa released a statement Monday that Lieutenant-Duval later apologized for using the term in class and invited students to discuss its use. The school also offered students the opportunity to continue lessons with another teacher. Read more about this story here.

Only five percent of Canadian children were meeting basic physical activity guidelines when the pandemic began. So school programs are now looking for alternatives to get students to work up a sweat in a safe way. As a result of physical distancing measures and increased distance learning, children had more sedentary time during the pandemic, which impacted schools planning physical education classes. For example, the Toronto District School Board has asked physical education teachers to cancel fall fitness training after physical education teachers reported that student physical activity had been alarming. "You have noticed that children are instantly out of breath and the lack of physical activity that has occurred over the past seven months is showing," said George Kourtis, who leads the TDSB's physical program. Even so, educators say it is imperative that children train. However, this comes with challenges in a remote learning environment. Read more about students and athletes here.

Watch | Children without physical activity during the pandemic:

NASA's OSIRIS-REx mission will make history today as it attempts its first collection of material from an asteroid, which will be returned to Earth in 2023. The spaceship, which arrived at the asteroid Bennu in 2018, will perform a touch-and-go maneuver. "Due to low gravity, we cannot land on Bennu's surface, so we will only kiss the surface with a quick touch and go, measured in seconds," said Beth Buck, OSIRIS-REx mission operations program manager for Lockheed Martin Space said Monday. Compressed nitrogen gas is pumped to the surface, kicking up particles which are then collected by a sampler. This crucial part of the mission was made possible in part by the Canadian Space Agency's OSIRIS-REx laser altimeter, which mapped Bennu's surface in 3D. Read more about this story and how to see the collection here.

w some good news to start your Tuesday: Hamilton, Ont., Raihan Audu, a teenager, spent two days cooking a Thanksgiving meal all by himself for his family. The 14-year-old never thought that a photo of the festival would bring at least a little joy to hundreds of thousands of people. His older brother Fadel posted a photo of the meal on Twitter – with bowls full of sweet and savory foods, with Raihan at the top. "I checked his Twitter and it was up to 10,000 likes. And then it kept going up and it was overwhelming," Raihan said, noting that the comments on the post told him what a good job he had done. "It was very nice." The picture has now been liked more than 790,000 times with almost 70,000 retweets. Raihan started helping his mom with Thanksgiving dinner when he was 10 years old, but he has taken on more leadership in recent years. Read more about the young chef here.

Front Burner: The Truth About Who Murdered Christine Jessop

After 36 years, a notorious cold case in which a little girl was raped and mutilated has finally been resolved. The terrifying mystery surrounding the kidnapping and murder of Christine Jessop caught the nation's attention in the 1980s and resulted in the false conviction of an innocent man.

Former CBC investigative journalist Linden MacIntyre has retired today to explain why it took nearly four decades to uncover Jessop's killer and the haunting questions that remain unanswered.

Front burner24:4236 Years Later: The Truth About Who Murdered Christine Jessop

Today in History: October 20th

1873: Nellie McClung – suffragist, reformer, and lawmaker – was born in Chatsworth, Ont.

1903: The Joint Commission set up by the United Kingdom and the United States to mediate the controversial Alaskan border rules in favor of the United States. The decisive voice was Great Britain, which bitter Canada. The US has gained ports on the Panhandle Coast in southeast Alaska.

1920: B.C. Voters reject ban in a referendum. Instead, they vote for state control of alcoholic beverages.

1992: The first World Series game outside of the US will be played in Toronto between the Blue Jays and the Atlanta Braves. The Jays win the game 3-2.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Close
Close