Papaya can be hailed as one of the healthiest fruits that you can eat on a daily basis. Read here how diabetics and people with heart disease can benefit from it.
Papaya is an incredibly nutritious food that is low in calories and high in fiber
- People with type 2 diabetes can benefit from including papayas in their diet
- The fruit can be included in weight loss diets
- Papaya can reduce the effects of aging on the skin
Papaya is one of the healthiest fruits out there. When you include it in your diet, you can get health benefits like lower risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. In addition, you can include it in your diet when you are trying to lose weight. The fruit is versatile in nature. It can be combined with other foods, which can help improve the taste. Papaya can be eaten with a little yogurt for breakfast. You can also mix it with other fruits to make a smoothie. The fruits can be consumed both as a starter and as a dessert.
A small papaya (about 150g) is said to contain about 3g of fiber, 15g of carbohydrates, 1g of protein, 157% of the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) of Vitamin C, 33% of the RDI of Vitamin A, 14% RDI of Vitamin B9 or folic acid and 11% of RDI or potassium.
Also Read: These 5 High Fiber, Low Calorie Fruits Will Help You Keep A Healthy Weight
Let's take a look at some of the benefits of papaya
1. Weight Loss: Papaya is high in fiber and water and can help you lose weight. The fruit is also low in calories, which makes it great for weight watchers.
2.Improved digestion: The fiber and water content in papayas can also help prevent constipation and maintain digestive tract health. Papain, a digestive enzyme found in papaya, further helps improve digestion.
3. Type 2 diabetes: Studies have shown that people with type 2 diabetes can benefit from a high-fiber diet. It can improve blood sugar, lipid, and insulin levels. Papaya is also full of antioxidants that can reduce oxidative stress in older adults and people with prediabetes.
Also Read: 5 Diabetes-Friendly Snacks That Can Help You Overcome Hunger Attacks
4. Can improve heart health: Antioxidants in papaya can protect your heart and improve the protective effects of good HDL cholesterol. Adding more papaya can improve your heart health.
5. Eye health: Zeaxanthin is an antioxidant found in papaya that can filter out harmful blue rays of light to protect eye health and reduce the risk and progression of age-related macular degeneration.
6. Protects against skin damage: Vitamin C and lycopene have skin-protecting and anti-aging properties. The fruit can reduce the damage caused by free radicals, reducing wrinkles, sagging, and other skin damage.
The bottom line is that papaya is an incredibly nutritious fruit that can benefit your health in many ways. Include it in your daily diet to reduce age-related health effects and better heart health.
Also Read: This Monsoon Fruit May Aid Digestion, Heart Health And More: Here's How It Works
Disclaimer: This content, including advice, contains general information only. It is in no way a substitute for a qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV is not responsible for this information.
DoctorNDTV is the one stop shop for all of your health needs and provides the most credible health information.
Health news and tips with expert advice on healthy living, eating plans, informative videos, etc. You can get the most relevant and accurate information you need about health problems like
HIV and AIDS,
Weight loss and many other lifestyle diseases. We have a panel of 350+ experts who help us develop content by providing their valuable input and providing us with the latest information from the world of healthcare.