Bean soup is a hearty and delicious way to consume these canned beans in your pantry. The kale in this recipe could be replaced with other greens such as chard, spinach, cabbage, or hearty collards. This soup goes well with bread or toast. Our friends from Cal-Organic sent us this recipe, which can be easily prepared in a slow cooker to save time and hands.
Remember that this is a slow cooker recipe, so you have to plan ahead, but the preparation time is quick!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 5 – 7 hours
Servings: 4 – 6
- 1 pound of Cal-Organic Green Kale
- 1 medium-sized calorganic yellow onions
- 6 cal-organic spring onions
- 15 oz. Cannellini beans, canned
- 42 oz. Vegetable broth
- 15 oz. Tomato puree
- 1/2 cup of converted rice
- 2 TEA SPOONS. basil
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Freshly grated parmesan for garnish
- Olive oil for serving
- Rinse and drain the cannellini beans.
- Combine beans, vegetable broth, tomato paste, rice and basil in the slow cooker.
- Finely chop the peeled onions and garlic and put in the stove. Season with salt and pepper and stir.
- Cover and let cook on low for 5-7 hours.
- Remove chewy stems from the kale, cut them into ribbons and cut the spring onions into thin slices.
- Put the kale and spring onions in the stove and cook at low temperature for about 20 minutes until the kale is tender.