This recipe turns typical chicken wing flavors into a balanced meal that is tasty and less messy. The marinade and yogurt sauces are easy to crack, and this recipe uses the interesting grains you might find in your pantry, like barley and wild rice. Tastemade developed this recipe for our friends at Michelob Ultra, who suggest combining the skewers with their new organic beer Michelob Ultra Pure Gold.
As an additional bonus, Michelob Ultra runs a program called Six for Six, in which Michelob converts 6 feet 2 of arable land to organic production for every 6-pack sold.
For the chicken skewers:
1/2 cup coconut sugarz
1 tablespoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of organic garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed organic orange juice
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds of boneless, skinless organic chicken legs, diced in 1 1/2 inch pieces
2 organic lemons, halved
For the herb yogurt sauce:
2 cups of Greek yogurt
1/2 cup organic coriander
1/2 cup organic parsley
1 organic serrano pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
For wild rice and barley:
1 cup of organic barley
1 cup of organic wild rice
6 cups of vegetable broth
- Preheat the grill on medium to high heat.
- For the chicken skewers: Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a bowl. Add chicken and coat each piece thoroughly. Leave on for at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours
- Divide 4 to 5 chicken pieces on 8 skewers. Place the skewers on the grill pan and turn them for 5 to 8 minutes until cooked through and lightly charred
- For the herb yogurt sauce: Combine yogurt with coriander, parsley and serrano pepper in a blender. Add salt and pepper as desired and serve with skewers.
- For wild rice and barley: Soak 1 cup of wild rice in water for 30 minutes; put aside. Drain water and mix rice with barley
- Bring the vegetable broth, organic wild rice and barley to a boil, lower them and let them simmer for about 20 to 25 minutes. Take off the stove.
- Assemble the bowls with rice and barley, sauce and chicken skewers. Finish with freshly squeezed lemon.