Who still misses eating burgers? Burgers can easily have dinner and when the weather is nice, the opportunity to grill is always welcome. Our friends from Whole Foods Market shared a collection of burger recipes that get creative and take into account many eating habits. We love that the homemade recipes for vegetarian burgers use ingredients from the pantry that you are likely to have on hand, while other recipes examine meat beyond typical beef patties such as turkey and seafood.
Here's one of their vegetarian burger recipes, but check out the rest of the collection for more ideas.
HOMEMADE BLACK BEAN BURGERS
Makes 6 patties
- 1 (15.0 oz.) Can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup of whole grain bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder or granules
- 1/2 teaspoon of fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive or rapeseed oil
- 6 whole grain hamburger buns
- 6 green lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- Put the beans in a large bowl and crush them well with a fork.
- Add egg, yellow onion, breadcrumbs, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt, pepper and hot sauce.
- Mix well, then shape into 6 patties.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Arrange the patties in a single layer (work in batches if necessary) and turn them over until they are golden brown on both sides and cooked for a total of about 10 minutes.
- Put on bread rolls, top with lettuce, tomatoes and red onions and serve.
Look out for other delicious recipes from the collection such as Bahn Mi Grass-Fed Beef Burgers, Seafood Burgers with roasted coleslaw and Big Blue Burgers with Cherry Mustard. Yum!